Friday, April 3, 2009

Birthday Cake Disaster


Remember when I told you all that I would not be afraid to post when I have a recipe gone wrong. Well, as is par for my cooking I have had one of those moments. The picture above is Dave's birthday cake. Wow! It is amazing isn't it?
Hannah took a picture of me working on this masterpiece while she and her BFF laughed their heads off. It is bad enough to have this happen, but when it happens in front of an audience it's worse. So, I am going to share with all of you my mistake so you won't follow in my disastrous footsteps.
My hubby loves double layer chocolate cake, so I decided to "kick it up" a notch and make it triple layer, and not only that but make the middle layer marshmallow cream. Yummm!!!! The idea was great in theory, but not in application. I will hate marshmallow cream for a very long time now. As you can see from the picture, it made the cake layers slide and there was no stopping the creamy landslide once it started. In the end I had to scrape off the top layer and try to make something of what was left with the leftover frosting and sprinkles. Yeah, sprinkles cover a multitude of sweet mistakes.
The moral of this cooking fiasco is: NEVER, not EVER use marshmallow cream in a layer cake. :)

4 comments:

Amy said...

Hilarious! I've never attempted to layer a cake, so I can't say a thing. I bet it still tasted great!

Anonymous said...

At least i know i'm not the only one! great attempt it still looked delicious!!!!

pam said...

at least i'm not the only one!! Great attempt the cake still looked delicious.

Carrie said...

It was a super idea! I wonder if the marshmallow cream would have worked as "frosting" on the top only?